Saturday 7 December 2019

Tsukemono or pickled Cabbage

Since I was in Japan I love pickled vegetables.

Here in Germany we mostly have pickled gherkins and sauerkraut. Sometimes you will find some sour green beens. But that is all I grew up with.


I watched a video on YT from Niki Niki. Her Japanese mother is still cooking and she is filming and translating during the process. The style is easy and no problem to adept here.


Tsukemono can be eaten with rice or just as a side dish for meat or fish.


Since my head of cabbage has enough leaves to have several meals, I took a couple of leaves off and ripped them in small pieces. The hard middle bit is not used.
Give it a good wash and place it in a freezer bag.


recipe:
2 hands full of shredded cabbage
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp hot red pepper flakes (I used Korean)
1 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar.
1/2 package of instant dashi
wakame seaweed optional

Add salt and massage the bag a while. Set aside for 20 min.

Now add vinegar, dashi stock and pepper flakes and mush again.
Set aside for 2 hours.

Drain and place in an airtight container and add some wakame if you like.
Keep in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment