Thursday 25 February 2021

Flank Steak in Rendang Sauce

At the end of the week I check what is left in the fridge. Sometimes the meal plan for the whole week changes and ingredients are left in the fridge. 



I bought a flank steak and asked the butcher to seal it in a bag. That way it keeps a lot longer. Up to 30 days.  But the recipe I planned for it did not work out. I stood in front of my spice rack and waited for an inspiration. From the Dutch supermarket I found a spice package Rendang. Coconut milk is a staple in my household.



The next stop was the veggie drawer of my fridge. More on the empty side. But still usable stuff.




Ingredients for 1:

175 g flank steak, 2 spring onions, 2 cloves if garlic, 2 tbsp rapeseed oil, 1 red bell pepper, 2 celery stalks, parsley

1 package Rendang paste, 200 ml coconut milk, 100 ml water

Salt and pepper, 1 tbsp rice syrup 1/2 lime

1/2 cup rice



Pat dry the steak after it rested outside the fridge for 45 min. Season with salt and pepper and cut into thin slices.



Chop all the veggies. Start the rice.

Heat up the oil high and put the meat in to sear it on both sides for 3 min. Use a small bowl and scoop the meat in and cover with a plate. That way it rests and stays soft.



Put the seasoning paste in the pan, reduce the heat a bit and add coconut milk and water to loosen it up. Get all the veggies in and cook them until done.  Now in with the steak and the juice to reheat it. Sweeten with syrup and put lime juice in for balance.

Chop the parsley and stir it in. Serve with rice.




No comments:

Post a Comment