Sunday 7 February 2021

Soto Ayam or Indonesian Chicken Soup

Today I made a foody trip to Indonesia via the Netherlands. Last fall during my stay near the border to Holland, I went shopping for groceries there. I stocked up on lots of stuff that is not available here in Germany. Some of the food was from Indonesia.



I found a package of lemongrass spaghetti that looked different from Italian pasta. And that came with a package of some Soto Maaltijdsoep. Never heard of it before, but that is exactly what intrigued me. It went into my shopping cart. 



The lemongrass spaghetti had to be cooked for 6 min and then washed in cold water. They reminded me a lot of Japanese Soba noodles. Next step hard boiling eggs.



Preparing the Soto Ayam is easy. Just heat up a little oil and put the yellow paste in. Cook it for 3 min, add spring onion and celery and fry that 2 min more. Add 800 ml water and bring the soup up to a boil.



Add the chicken pieces and cook them until done. Takes about 3 - 5 min depending on their size. Now add the pasta and sprouts to heat them up. Squeeze in the lime juice and season with salt and lots of black and white pepper.

Check the spice level. The package showed 1 chili from 3 as mild. I found no heat at all. After I dumped in 2 tsp of Pul Biber or chili flakes, the spice level reached my version of mild.

Serve with 2 boild egg halves and roasted peanuts.

Ingredients:

250 g lemongrass spaghetti, 1 package Soto Maaltjid Soep, 1 lime, 2 spring onions, 1 celery stalk, 350 g chicken leg meat, 60 g sprouts, 2 hard boild eggs, 3 tbsp roasted peanuts, salt, black and white pepper. Chili is optional.



 




No comments:

Post a Comment