Monday 1 February 2021

Ogórkowa or Polish Gherkin Soup

I made this soup a long time ago but only with dill pickled gherkins. There are on the sweeter side and the soup does not reach the orignial taste level. I checked YT videos again and went to our large Supercenter today to hunt for the salted gherkins in the Polish section of the supermarket. It took me a while to find the right jar. I hate it, when they change the sections and rearrange the stuff in them. Now there are two  more rows of Polish food, but not organized. 



But there are a lot of variations of this recipe. With sausage or meat, stricktly vegan or else. I made my own version as always.



The rest of the ingredients are pretty basic and I had to shop for fresh veggies and some dairy only. It is important to use a salt free or lightly salted stock for this soup. You have to add some of the brine to the soup and that can easily make the soup too salty. I had homemade chicken stock to use. When I make stocks at home, I never add salt to them. That way I can add them to any dish without making it too salty.



recipe for 2:

650 ml lightly salted chicken stock, 2 carrots, 1 parsley root, 50 g leek, 50 g celeriac, 2 potatoes

1 red onion, 2 bay leaves, 3 whole allspice, 5 brined gherkins, 4 tbsp brine

1/2 bunch dill, 80 g sour cream, pepper




Peel carrots, celeriac and parsley root and grate that on a box grater. Peel the potatoes and cut them in 1 cm cubes. Peel and cut the onion fine. Heat up the chicken stock with all spice and bay leaves and add all the veggies. Cook for 15 min until the veggies are soft.



Grate the gherkins too and add them with the brine to the soup. When you taste it before you add the gherkins and brine, the soup will taste flat. After adding the rest it will be great.

To prevent lumps of sour cream in your soup, mix cut dill with sour cream and 4 tbsp of hot soup. Then add that to the soup. Do not cook any longer. Just fish out the bay leaves and the allspice and your soup is ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment