Sunday 12 September 2021

Onion Soup from Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania

This is not the typical French Onion Soup. The idea of it came from a recipe from Diemitz, a town in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania. A very basic kind of soup recipe. 



I adjusted it a bit and used Vitalia onions. These American sweet onions are nearly unavailable here in Germany. I know them for many years, because friends of mine in Virginia loved them.  My friend John hated onions. The only ones he ate were Vidalia.



I found a box of two Vidalia sweet onions at the premium display for veggies and fruits. 2 onions for €2,59 ! But I wanted to try them and I had the recipe for this soup already on the table.



The other change in the recipe were grated potatoes. The soup should have been binded by a roux. I choose to bind it with grated potatatoes.



Recipe for 2:

650 ml veg stock, 2 tbsp butter, 1 tsp oil

2 large Vidalia sweet onions, 2 spring onions

2 medium potatoes, 60 ml double cream,

1 carrot, 12 cm greens of a leek

Pinch of nutmeg, lovage, thyme

Salt and pepper



Cut the onions on strips and saute them in butter and oil. Grate the potatoes and add them. Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Season and cook for 12 min. Cut the carrot and leek into strips and add them to the soup. Cook for 5 min. Add cream and check the seasoning again. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment