Wednesday 1 September 2021

Pirpirim-Asi or Purslane Stew vegan

The bundle of purslane was too big for the salad. I had a bunch of it left over. This morning at the office I asked my Turkish coworker about purslane. She got excited and told me her mother had grown it in her garden and she had later some on a box on the balcony. She was surprised that I found some at a supermarket.



My salad was a good choice she told me. Often purslane is eaten with yogurt and garlic. But she told me the other name, that has origins in Gaziantep. She gave me the recipe and I made it the same evening.



Recipe for 2:

1 red onion, 2 clives of garlic, 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp hot paprika paste, 1 tbsp tomato paste, 350 ml water, salt, pepper

1/2 bunch purslane, stems and leaves

4 tbsp bulgur, 4 tbsp cooked brown lentils, 4 tbsp cooked chickpeas.

1/2 tsp sumac, 2 tsp pomegranate syrup, 




Chop onion and garlic and fry it in some oil. Add the paprika and tomato paste and give it 2 more min. Add water and season and let it cook on low.



Chop purslane and toss it in and add the bulgur. That will take about 8 -10 min. Drain lentils and chickpeas and add them now.

Season with sumac and pomegranate syrup

You can eat it with some soy yogurt and bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment