Monday 20 September 2021

Roasted Duck standing up in the oven

It is never a bad time to learn something new. I wanted to prepare a Vietnamese style duck in the oven. Looking for an inspiration I used Pinterest. So many kinds of roasted duck recipes. Reading through one that covered Peking Duck at home without the clay oven and the method to cook it hanging free in that oven, caught my eye. 



The device used was something I have in my baking containers. The bottom part of an Angel Cake Tin. Very clever. That prevents the duck from sitting in its own fat while roasting in the oven.



Marinate:

1 cup dark soy sauce, 1/3 cup mirin, 3 tbsp agave syrup, 2 tbsp oyster sauce, white pepper

1/3  cup shaosing wine, 1 tbsp ketchup manis, 1 tsp 5 spice powder, 2 star anise, 2 cloves

Marinate the duck for 2 to 3 hours. Stick it on top of the baking tin bottom and place it in wider baking dish. 



Fold the wings in some aluminium foil to prevent them from getting burned. Just unwrap them the last 12 min. For each 500 g of duck you will need 15 min of cooking time at 180 C. My duck was in the oven baking for 1: 10 min. Then I let it rest outside for 10 min more.



I ate some of it with lettuce, herbs and fresh veggies. The carcasse went in a pot with water and frozen veg and cooked for 1 hour and made 750 ml soup stock. Some breast meat went on some rice the other day.



No comments:

Post a Comment