Sunday 24 January 2016

Hoisin Ribs with Rice Noodle Salad

I found a rack of pork ribs yesterday and today thought about a cooking method.

Usually I marinate the ribs in a lot of Bourbon, brown sugar, ground coriander, ground cumin and soy sauce with a good gluck of ketchup, but today I wanted something different. But I always cook them first for 20- 30 minutes, so that they don´t get hard in the middle and easier off the bone. That was an advice from my friend in Virginia, who showed me her cooking method.

Asian Ribs with Rice Noodle Salad
I love Hoisin sauce, so ribs with a marinade sounded good to me. But what to serve with it. I was in the supermarket in the morning and a solution for that problem came while I was in the veggie isle- red pepper, small red radish, coriander and spring onions make a good salad with some rice vermicelli. But they hadn´t the tiny ones, so I bought wide rice noodles.

recipe for the salad:
150 g rice noodles, cooked for 4  minutes, then drained
1 red pepper
5 red radish
30 g coriander
1 lime
2 spring onions
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp dark sesame oil
2 tbsp light sesame oil
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp Mirin
1 tsp Sriracha sauce
1 tbsp palm sugar


red peppers, radishes, spring onions and coriander

recipe for the Asian ribs:
700 g spare ribs racks
4 tbsp Hoisin sauce
2 tbsp Honey
1 tbsp Soy Sauce
1 tsp 5 spice powder
1 tbsp Sriracha Sauce
2 tbsp Bourbon ( my secret ingredient)

ribs cooked for 30 minutes

In a big pot with a little salt cook the ribs for 30 minutes, let them cool.
Don´t throw out the broth, chuck in some dried veggies, bay leave and pepper and bring it back to a boil for 5 minutes- let it cool down, store it in a airtight container and you have broth that lasts up to 2 weeks.
Marinate the warm ribs and let them sit in it for a good while.
Heat the oven 200 C and give them 15 min on one side, then more marinate on top turn them and bake them 15 min more. Depending on the thickness, they should be ready now.

Start getting your hands dirty!  Lick your fingers later!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment