Monday 30 January 2017

Swiss Chard Italian Style

Winter time - Veggie time!


My local organic supermarket offered Swiss chard from Italy and that inspired me to prepare it in that style.
In some countries people just eat the leafy greens prepared like spinach and throw the stalks away. In other countries, they like the stalks and throw the green parts away. There the stalks are called the asparagus of the poor.
When I usually use chard, I prepare the greens separately from the stalks and bring them back together on the plate like two different veggies. The greens as a kind of spinach with nutmeg and onions, the stalks in a light creamy white sauce.
But, I found an Italian recipe in one of my many books that intrigued me. And I can assure you, it is delicious!

recipe:
600 g Swiss Chard
40 g sun dried tomatoes in oil
3 shallots
3 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 lemon
1 1/2 tsp runny forest honey
salt and pepper



Take about 1 inch off the green top and 1 inch off the bottom from the Chard, cut the Chard into 1 /2 inch slices and give it a good wash.
Cube the shallots and the garlic and cut the dried tomatoes into strips.
In a wide pan in oil start with onions and garlic first, then add the tomatoes and cook a bit.
Drop in the washed Chard with its rest of water and wait a few seconds to steam off, season with salt and pepper and cook until done.
Season with honey and let it caramelize a bit, dribble the lemon juice over.


Serve it as a side dish or just as a light meal on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment