Tuesday 18 February 2020

Ambrosia Salad

I have a subscription to the American Country magazine for many years now. I always look for the Needle in the Haystack, a sewing needle photoshopped into one of the wonderful photos in each issue. Reading about farms and their owners, about seasonal trips to National Parks and funny stories is nice. In some issues there are even recipes.


One of them was a Potluck recipe and I thought that the ingredients list was weird. Then I forgot about it. Last Saturday I bought a bag of Marshmallows. I wanted to use some of them to prepare a coffee walnut dessert ( blog vom 19.11.16). I was checking Google what else to do with it. The Ambrosia Salad came up.


Most ingredients lists contains Cool Whip. That is not available here in Germany - and I am happy about it. I do not like this stuff. Why not use a good quality cream instead? I choose 10 % Turkish yogurt. It is unsweetened and has the typical yogurt sourness. That balances the sweet fruits very well and the weird component in the salad - Marshmallows.


Since I bought large marxhmallows I had to cut them up with a pair of scissors into 5 smaller chunks. Buy small ones, that makes it easier.

Recipe for 6 portions:
1 can 175 g Mandarine Oranges drained
1 can 175 g Pineapple chunks  drained
3 tbsp pineapple juice from the can
4  halves of canned pear, chopped
250 g Greek yogurt 10 %
60 g marshmallows
1/2 tsp vanilla paste

Stir it all together and the dessert is done.
Some add nuts to it. But some people are allergic, so better leave them out, when you bring this salad to a party.

No comments:

Post a Comment