Tuesday 4 February 2020

Dhal Puri - Mauritius Style

I just had Dhal puri olne time on the beach in Pereybere. I wanted to eat it on an other day, but the truck was closed. On other locations I had no luck to find it.


It is a quick snack to grab on the go and it reminds me of Indian rotis. But these are filled with cooked dhal and looked more like flat pancakes.


I read about it in travel reports and found some mentioned online. That made me curios. Trying something new on holidays is my favourit paste time.


I checked some YT videos and found different methods. Preparation takes some planning because you need cooked, seasoned dhal that is shredded and you need the cooking water. Yesterday I was looking for a bag of raisins and found a bag of yellow split peas (dhal). ----I bought a bag of sultanas today and when I looked for the container to store them, I found the raisins.
On the metal container was a label that it contains Sushi rice.  It would help to change the labels, when the goods inside change…….


Ingredients:
150 g yellow split peas
2 tsp tumeric
1 tsp salt
1 tsp roasted cumin


400 g flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp olive oil
Tumeric split pea water

Mango Chutney
Celery Sticks
Lambs lettuce
Cooked ham


Cook the split peas with 5 times the  volume of water. Season the water with salt and tumeric. I soaked the dhal after washing it for 1 hour. Soaking it long reduces the cooking time. When you can pulverize a pea with your finger, they are ready to drain through a colandet over a second pot. You need the cooking liquid for the dough.
The dhal has to cool down completely. Best way is to spread it out on a large plate.
Dry roast 1 tsp of cumin seeds and sprinkle them over the dhal.
When it us cold, blend it into a fine crumb.


Heat up the stock again. Make the dough.
When it comes together in the bowl with a wooden spoon.
Tip it out on a floured surface and need it for 10 min. The dough should be soft and strechy.
Let it rest covered for 30 min.
Divide the dough in 2 balls, cover one so it does not dry out.
Roll the dough into a roll and cut 1 inch discs.


Grab one piece and flatten it in your hand. Get a tablespoon of ground split pea. Close the dough over the peas.


Flatten the dough ball on some flour and take a rolling pin and roll out a crepe thin pancake.

In a flat pan heat on medium to high put a little brush of oil. Put the dough in and cook it fir 30 sec. Brush the top with oil, flip over.








No comments:

Post a Comment