Saturday 8 February 2020

Curry with roasted Veggies - vegan

I have such a bad cold that I need something comforting, spicy and warming.


The old remedies are onions, garlic, ginger. They are helping the immune system. And Chili is good for that too. For coughing my Grandmother used onions, chopped them and added a good amount of sugar. That had to rest a day and then you had to drink the liquid. I hated it as a child.


The only thing I bought fresh today was a Hokkaido pumpkin. The small orange kind that is the only pumpkin you can eat with the skin.


I wanted less work cooking today. When you do not feel well, being in the kitchen for long is not great. I washed the pumpkin, quartered it and took the seeds out. 1 whole leek and 1 carrot were in the veggie drawer and I took these too. Peeled the carrot, and cut the leek lengthwise. Seasoned with salt and pepper and a little drizzle of olive oil.
I put that all on a baking tray and had it in the oven at 180 C fan. After 20 min, I took the leek out and left the rest in for an other 10 min. I took it out to cool down.


When the pumpkin is cool, you can easy peel off the skin if you like. But it is soft enough to eat.
The Grilled Masala and Chat Masala are a souvenir from Mauritius. They contain no chili.


ingredients for 2:
800 g Hokkaido pumpkin
1 leek
1 carrot
3 shallots
olive oil
5 cloves of garlic
2 knobs of ginger
1 dried red chili
3 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp brown mustard seeds
3 tsp Grilled Masala powder
salt and pepper
200 ml coconut cream
60 ml water
30 g cashews
2 tsp kasoori methi (fenugreek leaves)
lemon zest
1 tsp chat masala


Heat up the coconut oil and toss in the mustard seeds.
In a small blender chop shallots, ginger, garlic and chili and add it to the pan.
Let the mix get some heat and add the Grilled Masala spice.
Now the coconut cream and water.
Season with salt and pepper and fenugreek leaves and cashews.
Chop the bakes veggies and get them in and let them warm through.
Finish with lemon zest and chat masala.


Eat with rice or Naan.

No comments:

Post a Comment