Thursday 27 February 2020

Cabbage and Tuna Salad

I saw this on YT at Ochikeron´s Channel. Her kids helped to prepare the salad.


The ingredients are pretty basic and only the cabbage needed to be bought fresh. With the tuna and the Kewpie mayo as a dressing it is a filling salad. But after 2 hours I was hungry for some carbs.
Next time I will serve this in a soft tortilla wrap. That may be fusion cuisine, but makes me a lot less hungry.


Bringing this salad to a party here would raise eyebrows. The package of instant dashi powder makes a prominent kind of seafood taste that only a few people here would know. I used nearly the whole head of Napa cabbage (450 g) and when I had the leaves cut down into bite size chunks, it looked like a whole lot to eat.


The method to prepare the salad is kind of weird. Put the chopped salad in a microwavable container with a lid or use a bowl with micro clingfilm and stash that at 600 Watts for 4 min in.
I added a medium size spring onion before I put it in.


When it comes out, use 1/2 tsp of salt to season it and stir. Let it sit for 5 min and then pour the water out. Use kitchen paper in double or triple layer and put 1/3 of the salad in. Squeeze out all the water. Make the 2 other batches. You will be astonished how much liquid is in this salad.


Now drain a small tin of tuna  and add it to the salad. 3/4 of a dashi stock package, some Sancho pepper and 3 - 4 tbsp Kewpie mayo. Use other mayo if you like.
Stir well.

I cut some Noori sheet into small strips and used it for decoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment