Saturday 1 February 2020

Congee - my style

At the Dubai Airport we had a bowl of Congee on our way to Mauritius.

I wanted to prepare that for quite a while now. Since I have a knowledge how that should taste now, I was ready to prepare it.



The Asian rice porridge is a breakfast staple in several countries. It is savoury and has no similarity to our western sweet rice pudding.
The one we ate at the Airport was cooked in strong chicken stock with a good helping of MSG. Since I started sneezing short after eating the last bite, I knew I had to omit this ingredient.


I bought chicken legs to make a stock and some chicken thighs for the actual congee later. The meat from the legs were saved for an other dish. I used a pressure cooker for the stock and in half an hour I had some good and salt less stock to work with.

The rice was washed and soaked in water for an hour.

I used the stock, 1 cup rice to 5 cups stock.  The chicken thighs with fresh ginger and garlic started the congee. The veggies were added later. Cook for 30 min, then add the rest
If you have some stock left, now is a good time to add it too.


Ingredients:
2 chicken thighs
1 cup long grain rice
5 cups chicken stock
4 slices of ginger
5 cloves if garlic
3 spring onions
1 hard boiled egg
1 red bell pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment