Monday 4 May 2020

Kedgeree

A long time ago at a breakfast table in Great Britain I came across this dish. I was not so excited about it. In the meantime I learned a lot more about food.


This recipe is a combination of 3 recipes. One from Sortedfood, one from the Hairy Bikers and one from Jamie Oliver. And a mix of my own.


I still do not eat it for breakfast, but as a lunch option it is great. Well I have some of it left and stored in the fridge, maybe I eat it tomorrow for breakfast - maybe?


The original recipes call for smoked haddock, a yellow smoked flat piece of fish fillet. I have seen this at fishmongers on the British Isles It is not available here in Germany. I took some smoked halibut instead. But I think the halibut is a bit more smoked than the haddock.


recipe for 2:
125 g basmati rice
50 g defrosted peas
100 ml milk
200 ml water
1 chicken stock cube
1 bay leaf
1 red onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 green chili
1 heaped tsp grilled Masala (curry powder)
salt and pepper
butter and oil
2 medium boild eggs
1 lemon
bunch of fresh coriander


Boil the eggs and set them aside.
Wash the basmati rice.


Bring water and milk with chicken stock and bay leaf to a boil - do not boil over!
Put the smoked fish in and reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 6 min.
Get the fish out and save the liquid. Peel off the skin and take out the bones and flake the fish.

Peel and chop garlic and onion finely. Cut up the green chili. In a bigger pot in butter and oil, sweat
off with a lid on.
After 4 min add the Masala powder and cook a bit more. Now through a fine sieve pour in the milk water mix. Toss the rice in and give it a good stir. When it boils again, reduce the heat to low and cook the rice until nearly done. About 10 min, get the defrosted peas in and stir well. Cook 2 min more. Get the flaked fish on top and close the lid and cut off the heat. Let it sit for 5 min.

Chop the bunch of fresh coriander and add eggs and lemon to the plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment