Friday 22 May 2020

Pannacotta with Red Beets

Pannacotta does not always taste sweet. This is a savoury version.


In a bakery news leaflet I found a couple of recipes.  This one caught my eye, because of the red beets. I love this vegetable and using it in different ways is nice.


The earthy aroma is something many people do not like. I am a huge fan of the beets since I was a child on holidays at my Grandparents house. Grams cooked these right from the garden and always gave me one the moment it was cool enough to handle. Peeling it and getting red handed was something that appealed to me.


Recipe:
300 g precooked red beets
1 Shallot
20 g butter
40 ml veg stock
90 ml whole milk
90 ml double cream
Nutmeg
Salt and pepper
4 Gelatine leaves
3 Drops red food coloring

Cut 200 g beets into small cubes. Peel and dice the shallot very fine.
In a pot melt the butter and fry them for 2 min.
Add stock, cream and milk and season. Cook for 15 min.
Soak the gelatine leaves in cold water for 5 min, squeeze the water out.
Dissolve it in the pot with the beets. Put the whple mix into a strong blender and make a very fine liquid. Check the seasoning again

In a 22×15 cm dish lined with clingfilm pour in the mix. When it is not fine enough, use a fine sieve. Add food coloring if it is too  grey.

Store in the fridge for 3 hours.

Serve with salad, chopped nuts, some beet slices and crumbled bread.






No comments:

Post a Comment