Thursday 2 July 2020

Waldorf Salad

Since the first time this salad was served at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York 1883, it has changed its ingredients often.
Not a Chef but a waiter had created it.


Basic ingredients were used like celery, apples and walnuts. Now you will find all kinds of stuff in it. When I checked YT and Chefkoch.de, I found pineapples and grapes and an assortment of nuts and a lot of different styles for the dressing.


I made my own version and kept it simple. The taste was awesome.

Most recipes use celeriac and a grater to make a rough salad. I am not a huge fan of raw celeriac. I just cooked 1 inch slices for 6 minutes in salted water.

Recipe for 2:
400 g celeriac
50 g celery stalk
1 Braeburn apple
Zest of a lemon, half of the juice
60 g walnuts
3 tbsp sugar
5 tbsp creme fraiche
1 tsp American mustard
Salt and pepper

Cut the cooked celeriac into battons, grate the apple with the skin on. Zest a bit of öemon and oress a bit of juice.
In a small pan heat up sugar until it is light amber, toss the nuts in and coat them. Let them cool down on a sil pat. Chop.

Mix the dressing and let the salad sit for 15 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment