Thursday 24 September 2020

Brussel Sprout Soup with Majoram

I checked the internet to see which herbs are going with brussel sprouts. I discovered that in the Flemish area of Belgium the sprouts were served in a white sauce with majoram.
That inspired me to add a bunch of fresh majoram from my balcony to my soup. Since brussel sprouts are not my usual veggie to eat, I would have gone with a bit of nutmeg or caraway. That works with all kinds of kraut, well cabbage.


The ingredients of this soup are pretty basic. Bacon goes good with almost everything. Onions, garlic and a chunk of potato are a good company. 


On my latest brussel sprout test run I had  about 400 g left over. They start to look less fresh when you leave them sitting around a day or too. The time for the soup was right.


Recipe:
300 g cleaned brussel sprouts
160 g peeled potato
2 red onions
3 cloves of garlic
35 g bacon lardons
3 stalks of majoram
1 tbsp organic veg stock paste
400 ml water
Salt and pepper
Oil
Sour cream for garnish

Let onions and garlic get some sweating time in the oil. Add the bacon and give that 3 min.
Now in with the rest and let it cook for 18 min.
Use a blender to make a creamy soup.
Put a dollop of sour cream on each.

No comments:

Post a Comment