Tuesday 22 September 2020

Brussel Sprouts and Plaice

Brussel Sprouts are the only veggie that I hate since my childhood. But cooking and eating veggies from all over the world I sometimes try to give these sprouts a chance.
I am looking for methods to mask the strong farty cabbage flavour. Over the last couple of years I found some.


But one thing is the same with all these recipes, do not leave leftovers and reheat them. The brussel sprouts are stronger and the taste is back!


Yesterdays trip to a supermarket about 25 km from home - I was visiting friends there-  made me buy brussel sprouts. They were displayed like a pyramid and looked great. Since the season just started, I could not resist.
Checking many recipes and adding something more, I made a tasty veggie plate.


I served it with one piece of plaice. An easy fush that does not need much work. Just seasoning and a little flour and a knob of butter.


Recipe for the sprouts:
500 g brussel sprouts
50 g bacon bits
Salt and pepper
Ground coriander
Pinch of brown sugar
3 tsp maple syrup
2 tsp olive oil
Zest of half a lemon
1 tsp sunflower oil
1 tsp butter
1 tsp lemon juice

Heat up the oven 180 C fan.
Peel the outer 4 leaves off. The sprout should look light green now. If still darker, take off more leaves. Cut in halves.
Set them down on a baking dish, season, sprinkle bacon on top and drizzle maple syrup and olive oil over.
Bake for 20 min, then turn them and bake 10 min more.

Do not reheat them!

Plaice ready to cook:
Season, and flour the dark side. Use medium high heat. 4 min on the dark side, 2 on the other. Add more butter and lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment