Wednesday 16 September 2020

Goose Breast with Cassis Madeira Sauce

On a day trip from my holiday home I went for a breakfast in a corner cafe in central Kleve.
A huge croissant and homemade strawberry jam and a pot of capucchino was served there. Then I went up hill to the Schwanenburg.


My next stop was Castle Moyland. Famous for its collection of art from Joseph Beuys.
A huge moat with water surrounds the castle


Next stop the city of Kalkar.
Now I was hungry and looked for a restaurant. On the market below the old city hall was the Ratskeller.

I started to write there, but then the food came. The WiFi was a lot better, then at the holiday home.


As a greeting from the kitchen came fresh hot buns with to bits of butter. The little loafs were so hot, I had to wait a couple of minutes before I was able to open them. With the ice cold butter, they were delicious.


My main course was goose breast in cassis sauce - or black currant and Madeira sauce. Served with braised red cabbage and cranberries and cooked apple slices. On a separate plate was a good amount of hand scraped Spätzle- little sparrows. Baked in butter after cooking.


That was a very fine dish and I needed a Williams pear schnapps afterwards.


When I left the restaurant I strolled around the huge market place and an Italian ice cafe called to me.
Since it was the first sunny day on my holiday, I sat outside in the sun and ordered one of my favourite dishes:  'Spaghetti Ice Cream´


That was a nice ending to a lovely day outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment