Monday 27 June 2022

Lime and Coconut Muffins

This is the best recipe for a hot summer day from Cupcake Jemma. I saw it last week on YT and new I had to bake it.



I only added some fresh lemon balm leaves from my balcony to the batter.



I was looking for toasted coconut flakes, but no luck. This week I made a couple of recipes that were lacking some of the ingredients. Is it the food shortage? Is it the drought? Are the the results of delivery bottlenecks? Who knows?



I only found bags of coconut chips untoasted. Since I have a pan, I toasted some myself. I took them from the stove the last minute before they went black. 



Recipe for 15 muffins:

120 g melted unsalted butter, 200 g sugar

Zest of 2 limes, 2 eggs, 1 -2 tbsp chopped lemon balm leaves

100 g buttermilk, 100 g 10% fat Greek yogurt

260 g flour, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt

50 g dessicated coconut

150 g white chocolate chips

Sirup:

Zest of 1 lime

Juice of 3 limes

2 tbsp brown sugar, 2 tbsp water

Toasted coconut flakes

Preheat the oven 200C fan.



Melt the butter and let it cool down a bit. Add the sugar and stir it well. Bring all the wet ingredients together. Add the chopped lemon balm and grate the lime zest directly on top.

In a second bowl sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Toss in the dessicated coconut and stir it in the wet mix bowl. Mix until just combined, do not overmix.



Add the white chocolate chips, I had only 100 g. I grated 50 g white chocolate in too.

Fill 12 muffin cups 2/3 full. You will get 2 or 3 more muffins out of the mix. Use a second tray.



Place then in the hot oven for 5 min - reduce the heat to 175C fan for 15 more min.



Prepare the syrup: zest 1 lime, juice all 3, add the sugar and the water to a saucepan and bring to a boil. When it is a bit syrupy, keep it warm.



When the muffins come out of the oven, brush them with the hot syrup directly and sprinkle the toasted coconut flakes on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment