Saturday 25 June 2022

Poached Cod with Horseradish

It was a Gazpacho day today. But I needed a bit of protein.



At the supermarket cod was on sale. It looked good, I bought a piece.



On a hot day with thunderstorms in the vincinity, I did not look forward to fry or bake the cod. Poaching fish is a greast way to prepare it. The fish stays soft. After poaching it, is is very easy to pull all the strong fishbones out. That method garanties that you wont rip the fish apart.



I made a stock and spice broth to poach the fish in. From my last trip to aspaon I had some seafood stock cubes. I used one and added a single bulb of garlic, 2 spring onions, 2 bay leaves and mustard seeds, nigella seeds and coriander seeds. With freshly ground pepper this stock cooked for 15 min before I turned the heat down a d added the cod.



Now make sure to keep the temperature low enough that the stock wont boil. Just some tiny bubbles are good. Depending on the thickness of the fish, the poaching time is between 4 to 10 min. The piece I bought took 6 min. The fish was soft and flaky. I served ith with creamy horseradish.

No comments:

Post a Comment