Saturday 6 January 2024

Brussel Sprouts Camouflage

Once a year I have to give my only hated vegetable a try. But I had to buy 1 kilogramm of it. That was the smallest amount available.



To keep it fresh for a couple of days, I removed the outer dark green leaves and cut off some of the stem. I washed them and put them in a moist kitchen towel. They are now in my veggie drawer of my fridge.



Today is the 6th of January. This is the day a church holiday in the catholic states of Germany and the day Christmas trees and decorations are taken out. It is the Holiday of the three Kings. Where I live, it is a regular work day.



After getting both Christmas trees down to the basement and storing all the decorations away, I wanted something fast and remembered the kitchen towel filled with Brussel sprouts.



I quartered 2 hands full of them and used some of my Advent calender oil bottles and some sauces. This combination was great and only the lingering cooking smell reminded me of the hated vegetable.

Recipe for 1:

300 g quarteted cleaned Brussel sprouts

1 tbsp rapeseed oil, 1 tbsp Chipotle seasoned oil

Smoked salt,

100 ml water

2 tsp Mango chutney, 2 tsp Balsamic rosted  onion sauce



Let the veggies get a good color in the hot oil. Season with salt and add water and close the lid and reduce the heat. After 3 min add both sauces and check if the sprouts are cooked. They should retain some of their bite.

Do not overcook them! Do not reheat them! Otherwise the farty cabbage taste will be back.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment