Monday 8 January 2024

Filippino Pork Adobo

Vinegar, black pepper, soy sauce and bay leaves - that is the base flavour of all Adobo dishes. I love this combination.



This time pork belly is the star. It was on sale at my local butcher and inspired me to cook the recipe. Not much work to do. After I did my Mis en Place, I started the rice cooker. The dish and the rice were ready together.



I used Chinese black vinegar. But if you do not have any, use light rice vinegar and a dash of balsamico. The dark soy sauce will give the color then. But the coconut milk makes it a lot less dark and it takes away a bit of the vinegar taste. Just use enough of it in the first place.



Recipe for 2:

350 g pork belly

2 red onions, 1 shallot, 3 garlic cloves

1 tbsp oil

5 tbsp black Chinese vinegar, 2 tbsp dark soy sauce, 1/2 chicken stock cube, 200 ml water, 1 heaped tbsp brown sugar, 3 bay leaves, 2 tsp fresh ground black pepper

200 ml coconut milk, 1 spring onion

Basmati rice



Discard the thick skin from the pork belly, then cut it in thinner slices. Season with your favourite rub.



Chop the onions and sauté them in oil. After 3 min add the pork and let it brown. Pour in all the sauce ingredients, but save the coconut milk for later. On high reduce the dark sauce, then add the coconut milk.

Serve on top cooked rice and add some spring onions.



No comments:

Post a Comment