Monday 22 January 2024

Camel and Goat Meat for Lunch

When in Beduine region, eat what is eaten there.



After our stay at a natural pool in a large Oasis, most of us wanted some lunch. Our tourguide offered to take us to a traditional Omani family restaurant that served camel.

Most of our group balked first. But the restaurant served fish and chicken too. So we went there.



It was buffet style and we all grabbed some plates. One lady of our group was the first to open the camel goulash. She took a serving spoon full on her plate, then picked up one chunk and popped it in her mouth. 

"Tastes like beef".  We all took some of it. It was tender meat. It looked a bit lighter then the beef you'll see in goulash. But if nobody would have told us that we eat camel, we would not have asked about it. 

To me it looked like chunks of beef that had cooked in a sauce without been seared before. No Mallard reaction. Now I know, that camel meat is very tasty.



But the real adventure was the goat meat. Lots of bones with some chunks of meat on them on the hot plate. When I took the cover off, the smell was very intense and nothing I smelled before.

I was the only one who took a piece and the other waited for my verdict. Tender and a bit gamey. It reminded me a bit of mutton. Now 2 of the group took the chance and tried it too.





No comments:

Post a Comment