Sunday 11 September 2016

Making my own Ricotta Cheese

Something every Nonna (Grandmother) in Italy knows how to do.


I watched some Masterchef Canada on YT and saw home cooks making their own ricotta, not with the best results thou, and I decided to give it a try again.
I am planning to make some Ricotta gnocchi tomorrow to go with the lot of tomatoes that ripened the last 2 days here.

I have made some other cheeses at home, so I just got my cheesecloth out of the cupboard and bought some fresh whole milk. You will need a big pot and a huge pot and a bit of patience. Store the ricotta in a covered jar or Tupperware and it will last for a week in the fridge.


recipe:
2 l whole fresh milk
100 ml creme fraiche
1 lemon juiced
1 tsp salt
1 cheesecloth
1 thermometer


This quantity made 420 g of Ricotta cheese.

Heat up the milk to 85 C, get the pot off the heat and add the creme fraiche and the lemon juice.
Stir a bit and get the pot back on low heat for 10 min, let it set. You will see curdles on top.
Use a big pot and a colander, put in the cheesecloth double and with a soup lade pour in the curds.

Drain some of the liquid from the pot. Cover the curdles with the cloth and let it sit for 1 hour.
Scrape the ricotta into a container and let it cool down to store in the fridge.
And it tastes a lot better than the bought stuff! It reminds me of the fresh Ricotta cheese I bought from a farmstore in the Emilia Romagna near Parma a couple of years ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment