Saturday 2 December 2017

Giant Avocados are sold here

I was at Punda´s Floating Market to check out what was offered there.
6 boats were mooring at the quay and they all sold fish.

They had most of their fish cut into wedges and stored on wooden boards, showing it to the buyers that way. With some cardboard or a bit of a swish they tried to get the big black flies away.
Just one boat had its fish on ice.

The sun was shining on the fish and outside temperature was 31 C. I did not buy any fish and did not go into a Restaurant to eat some fish - no thank you.


The market goes on with a lot of fruit and veggies sold at many stores erected on the side walk.
These do better in hot climate and I stopped at one stall who sold huge green things. I had seen them the day before in a grocery shop off the tourist routes and had no idea what they were.

The market stall owner saw me checking the green things and came over to talk to me. He told me that these huge green veggies are avocados. They grow them this big in Venezuela.
In Germany you will get the dark brown Hass avocados, which are on the small side and in season the shiny green ones from Spain. But they are just a little bigger than the Hass ones.


The one I bough on the market had about 1 kilo.


This morning I ate half of it for breakfast. The flesh has a bit firmer texture even when the avocado is ripe. The pith in the middle is huge. I stored the other half in the fridge to eat tomorrow.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment