Tuesday 26 April 2022

Duck à l' Orange - 2000 th blog

I started this blog on December 5th, 2015. I never thought I would write more than 300 blogs a year. 



To celebrate I prepared a duck. OK, that was not my intension. But I found not frozen 2,5 kg duck at a supermarket I never been in before. I was out of town to visit a large garden center to buy all kinds of hot pepper plants.  Just around the corner was a supermarket. I wanted to get some strawberries and strolled along the fridge section. I saw large packages with whole plucked ducks. 



They were labled 30% off, because they only lasted until the next day. It looked as if they were not in hot demand. I took one for roasting and using the leftovers during the following week.



I never made duck with oranges before and started to search the internet for recipes. This one is from D' Artagnan.

It is important to start the process the evening before. The duck needs time to take a bath.

Marinate:

1 litre Orange juice, fresh pressed if possible

1/2 cup runny honey, 1/2 orange marmelade

Sauce:

1 large orange, salt and pepper, 2 yellow onions, 2 tbsp duck fat, 3 tsp flour, chili , rice

Mix the marinate, clean the duck and set it in the marinate. Turn it twice or more during the time in the fridge.



Preheat the oven 200 C. Dry the duck and season it with salt and pepper inside and outside.

Put in a baking dish, breast side down on top of a trivet. Per kilo it needs 70 min.  After 15 min, turn the heat down to 160 C. Turn after 75 min.

The last 50 min, take a large spoon and take some duck fat out of the dish and place in a large pot. Chop the onions and saute them in duck fat and add flour. Season. Pour all of the marinate in and reduce on medium high to 70%. Check the seasoning.



 

The last 30 min of duck time, slice the washed orange in thin slices and place them around the duck. When the internal temperature between leg and breast has reached 72 C, the duck is done.

Cut it up and serve with rice and sauce and some side salad. 


No comments:

Post a Comment