Saturday 30 April 2022

Chickpeas Potatoes Beef and Yogurt - Yuğurtlu Patate

Very delicious Turkish recipe. 



But for me a bit strange to sort in a food cathegory. It looks like a stew, but when cold like a potato salad.



Potato salad here is often made with bacon, vinegar and sausages. The halal version is cooked beef, stock and yogurt. It took a bit to get my head around this recipe.



Usually when I read a recipe I get an image in my head and a taste profil. This time my image was blank.



I went to my Turkish neighborhood supermarket to get the ingredients. One of it was Haspir or Safflower. That is the cheaper cousin of saffron. I had to asked the staff there to find it.



While the beef shin was cooking, I started my least favourite work: peeling off the waxy skin from the chickpeas. 240 g will take a while and make a mess. But otherwise I can't eat chickpeas.

Recipe for 3:

500 g beef shin, 1 tbsp veg stock base and just enough water to cover it.

500 g potatoes, 240 g cooked chickpeas

1 cup Greek yogurt, 1 egg, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp Pul Biber, salt and pepper

2 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp safflower

Cook the beef with the veg stock for 90 min, add potato chunks and cook 20 min more. Add chickpeas.



Mix yogurt, egg, oil and seasoning. Take the beef out and chop in bite size chunks. Take out some of the stock for an other purpose.



Mix some hot stock with the yogurt to warm it up a bit. Pour all of it in the pot and get the beef back in. Keep it warm.

In a small pan melt the butter and add the Haspir. Pour over the mix in the pot.





No comments:

Post a Comment