Saturday 30 July 2022

Beef Tongue with Horseradish Sauce

I am always looking for new things to cook and I am open to a challenge.



My trip to the AUCHAN Hypermarche brought me a beef tongue. A whole raw one. The supermarket had an extra fridge with all kinds of beef cuts. But no steaks or tenderloins, but the nose to tail kind. Liver, lung, oxtail, tripes and tongues.



I cooked everything except lung and tongue before. This time I went for tongue. 



Here in Germany we have wide blood sausages that contain pork tongue. I love it. Now I wanted to eat tongue on its own.



The cooking process is super easy. To get the skin off later, you will need a sharp thin bladed pairing knife. The remaining stock is best to use for sauces and as a soup.

Recipe for 3:

1 beef tongue, 6 garlic cloves, 1 stalk sage, 1 stalk rosemary, bay leaves, 1 tsp salt, enough water to nearly cover the tongue

Horseradish sauce:

2 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp flour, 150 ml milk, 200 ml beef tongue stock, nutmeg, lemon salt, lemon juice, white pepper, 5 tbsp horseradish with cream friache



Cook the tongue for 2 hours. Insert a knife to check if the meat is done. Take it out and wait until you can it savely touch. Skin the tongue. Cut it in 1 inch slices to serve. If the other dishes aren't ready, put the tongue back in the stock to keep warm.

I made some mash potatoes and an easy lettuce to go with it.



No comments:

Post a Comment