Saturday, 25 July 2026

Korean Eggplant "Schnitzel" or Gaji-gui

One of my favourite Food YouTubers is Maangchi. I've tried a lot of her recipes and all of them were good.



A vegetarian option to a pan fried piece of meat sounded great to me and I love eggplants/aubergines.



This is a very simple dish, but you will need an extra wide pan or better 2 pans. The dish is served with rice. But as a side dish Banshan for a Korean BBQ good as well.



I prepared the sauce first and set it aside. I used one big eggplant, the only size available at the supermarket yesterday. Cut off the green hat and sliced it lengthwise in 1 cm cuts. 



Put some flour on a wide plate and cover the eggplant slices good with flour. No need to salt them and let them loose moisture before that.



Be generous with oil and bake them, flipping them over a couple of times until golden brown. Brush the sauce on one side, flip and let it cook



Serve seasoned side up and scrape the pan to get the stuck on sauce back on the eggplants. Finish with sesame seeds and eat with a bowl if hot rice.



Ingredients:
1 large eggplant, about 450 g
4 tbsp flour
2 green onions
3 garlic cloves
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp Gochugaru
1 tsp sesame oil
Sesame seeds
Oil

No comments:

Post a Comment