Tuesday 2 October 2018

Green Beans coated in garlic and parsley

This recipe was a method of preparing beans for many years in our family.


I still have fond memories of one special occasion that helped me learn one English vocabulary - breadcrumbs.
I was in Bosten, Mass during that time on holiday touring the New England states with my parents. We had an apartment in one of the old brown stone houses near the Charles river the last week of our holiday and found an Italian supermarket around the block.
They had a good assortment of veggies and since we all loved green beans, we put some into the shopping cart. 
Parsley and garlic were just close by. So the only thing needed was a box of breadcrumbs. I did not know the English word for it, so we started to search around the supermarket without any luck.
Short before giving up, I looked at a sale offer hanging on the wall beside the meat counter offering breadcrumbs plain, with Italian seasoning or with paprika. I saw the advertisement and started to laugh. I looked for the arranged packages and took one. The breadcrumbs box is still in use here at home, I brought it back with me to always remind me never to give up when I am looking for something special.


recipe for 3:
500 g fresh green beans
3 stalks of savoury
100 g breadcrumbs
60 g butter
5 cloves of garlic
1 large bunch of parsley
salt and pepper


Cook the beans in salted water with the savoury, drain.
In a wide pan heat up the butter and add the chopped garlic. Saute it on medium heat until soft.

Add breadcrumbs and let them get dark golden colour.

Chop the parsley and add it to the pan, stir for 2 min and season with salt and pepper.

Add the beans and you are ready to serve.

The beans go well with all kinds of meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment