Sunday 21 October 2018

Tsukiji Outer Market Food

Just one week before I came to Japan Tsukiji Fish Market closed its doors and went into an industrial area where new buildings with food safety regulations for trading and whole sale fish were opened.


But the charme were not only the Tuna and all other seafood, but the little shops all round forming the Outer Market.

Most of these shops did not leave the aera and so I went there to sample some specialities. Some bigger restaurants went to the new location, but their places have been taken over by others.
They open early and close around 2 PM. So start the day here early before the hordes of tourists come.


The market is famous for fresh made food to grab. They sell lots of items in sticks.
You can get dumplings, filled rice balls and lots and lots of fish. But fresh and pickled veggies are sold there too. Many local old people were buying things.

I started my morning with two sticks, grilled scallops and grilled eel. Fresh and so delicious.


At the end of the small lane is a booth propring tomagoyaki by the pan load. A sweet and dashi tasting folded omlette. I have such a pan at home, now I know to use a tsp of sugar to balance the dashi broth. The omlette was sold on a stick.


Dashi is the next keyword here. I bought 25 small "teabags" sealed in a pouch with dashi stock. Just throw one in boiling water and cook it for 3 min and discard the bag. Best dashi without any MSG.


I went into the sidebuilding. There is still seafood sold. A girl sold ice cream out of this shop and her Dad sold oysters. Wild combination.
3 large oysters for 500 yen (less then 4 €). Soo good.


I sampled various kinds of beans abd nuts, pickled veggies and drank several tea samples. I bought a can of Matcha tea.


A man blow torching tuna caught my eye. Marinated maguro tuna over a coal fire was torched for extra favour. One skewer 500 yen.
I could not resist. Soft and flakey tuna. Just a little salt and pepper added at last.




On my way out were knife shops. But this time, no new knife!
But I found dried fruits, so tasty these Mangos. Next fresh fruits were sold and 1 saw one bundle of yellow grapes sold for 2800 yen (22 €) and fresh figs, a bit bigger then mine, but not a big as the ones sold at home in the supermarket. One fig 540 yen.




No comments:

Post a Comment