Saturday 7 May 2022

Risotto with red Beets and Horseradish Ricotta and Arugula

This is a recipe from Swiss Chef Meta Hiltebrand. I hooked on the recipe when I saw the beautiful dark purple color and the topping with cream, greens and a flower.



I just made the recipe for 2 instead of 4 people and divided every measurement.



The photo of the dish I found was very vibrant red. With just one piece of red beet and 200 ml red beet juice, some white wine and veg stock, I was not sure if it was possible to reach the effect. The color was less intense. But I was lucky. A jar of red beet powder was sitting between all kinds of spices. I am using it to color desserts sometimes. It helped a lot to intensify the color.



The recipe calls for arugula topping. That kind of leaf makes me run normally. Usually I try to omit it in dishes and rarely order it. But the combination with the earthy taste of the beet risotto, the dog piss taste of the arugula and the sharp horseradish works well together. Now I have a bunch of these greens sitting in the fridge waiting for an idea or the way to the composte bin.



Recipe for 2:

1 small yellow onion, 120 g red beet cooked, 1 tbsp olive oil, 180 g risotto rice

125 ml white wine, 150 ml strong veg stock, 200 ml red beet juice, 1 tsp dry red beet powder

1 tbsp whipped cream, 1 tsp honey, 30 g Parmesan, salt, pepper

Topping:

125 g ricotta, 2 tbsp horseradish cream, salt, pepper, bunch arugula



Chop the onion and start it in olive oil. After they softened add the rice and stir until well coated. Chop the beet root and add it. Now in with the wine. Stir until it is gone. 

Mix the veg stock and the beet juice and add it in 4 portions to the rice. Cook every pirtion down and stir well. When the rice is done-about 20- 25 min, add whipped cream, honey and cheese. Check seasoning.



Mix ricotta with horseradish, salt and pepper and wash the greens. Pick some edible glowers from your balcony or garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment