Tuesday 1 March 2016

Welsh Cawl for St. David´s Day

Happy St. David`s Day,  people of Wales!
I did not want to go to the office with a piece of leek stuck to my sweater, but I love the celebrate all kinds of holidays.

Welsh Cawl

I know this soup with the name of Cawl since I travelled through Wales a couple of years ago. It is a quick and hearty soup for the 1. of March.

I used a pressure cooker, because coming home from work, grocery shopping on the way back, I had not much desire to slave away at the stove for a long time. So my special pot is great for soups like that.
First I just chucked the piece of beef with a marrow bone with the carrot, the bay leaves and one onion and some parsley stalks into the pot, filled it up with water and closed the lid. It takes only a couple of minutes until the sign comes up, reduce the heat and let it cook away for 20min. In the meantime, I can peel, cut and wash the veggies.
To open the lid of the pressure cooker faster, I put the pot into the sink and run some cold water onto the lid. The I can get the steam off and open the lid.
not many ingredients
Start the broth

Just scoop everything out. Throw in the veggies and close the lid again, back onto the heat and the same procedure this time only for 8 min. Steam off and the soup is nearly done. Season.
Cut up the meat, chop the parsley and you can brown some bread in a pan in some garlic butter to make croutons.

recipe:
500 g beef with marrow bone
1,5 l water
3 carrots
1/2 leek
1 onion
1 parsnip
3 potatoes
a bunch of parsley stalks
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp parsley
salt and pepper
bread for croutons and some garlic butter

No comments:

Post a Comment