Sunday 25 June 2017

Fresh Mussels from the North of the Picardie

I am in the heartland of the Picardie, but a small part of it reaches to the North Sea. It is mostly the mouth of the river Somme. It is not such a huge one, the river more or less trickles into the sea. There is the town of Saint Valery sur Somme and the Cap Hornu were you are at the end of the river Somme.
A long the coast you can find many small shops just selling "Moules et Huitres" - Mussels and Oysters. They are sold by the kilo. I paid € 3,50  for a kilo. So cheap and so fresh!


When I am doing trips like this, I put my icebox in the car. I never know, what I find on tour that will spoil otherwise.

recipe:
1 kg fresh mussels
4 cloves of garlic
1 shallot
1 spring onion
1 tbsp olive oil
100 ml double cream
100 ml Noilly Prat
1 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper


Clean the mussels and knock the open ones against the chopping board, when the close up, they are ok, otherwise discard.
In a pot with a lid heat up the olive oil and add chopped garlic and onions, saute for 4 minutes, add the curry powder and the chili and saute 1 more minute.
Add the mussels and the Noilly Prat.
Close the lidand wait 3 minutes, add the cream and stir well, wait a bit more.
How long it will depend of the size of the mussels. Mine were on the smaller side, it just took me 4 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment