Sunday 22 July 2018

Fig Ice Cream

I am eating against the ripening figs off my tree in front of the house. I looked down from the balcony and saw more ripe ones this morning.


On a hot Sunday some ice cream for coffee time is great.
The first time I had a delicious fig ice cream was in Monreale in Sicily. A corner cafe across the cathedral sells the best fig ice cream I´ve ever had.

I am  not making a custard as a base today. I am making a cheats ice cream. Several cans of Russian sweet condensed milk are in stock. I love that for the Vietnamese coffee.


recipe:
200 g double cream
150 g sweetened condensed milk
6 figs
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp Yuzu
2 tbsp Limoncello

For garnish:
Amarena cherries
Grand Marnier


Clean the figs and put them in a sauce pan with limoncello and yuzu and cook them until they are very soft. Mash them a get some fig juice out of it.
Cool it down on a wide cold plate.
Beat the double cream to soft peaks, add the condensed milk, cinnamon and the fig juice.
Put into the compressor ice cream maker for 25 min, add a little more mashed figs and let it set.

Transfer to a cool dish and stir in the rest of the figs.
Freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment