Sunday 15 March 2020

Meghli - a Dessert with spices

Other names are Moghli, Meghleh or Karawiya. It is a dessert from the Levant. This one was made in Lebanon.


Every time I visit the large Turkish supermarket here in the city, I spent some time in front of the dessert isle. I´ve made several of the desserts from the different shelves. This one was a new one I haven´t seen before. Preparation sounded easy and so I bought it.


Yesterday I stirred the content of the package in 800 ml cold water and brought that up to boil and cooked it until I had the right pudding consistency. While stirring it a strong smell of anis seed and something else came to my nose. This something else is caraway seed. It was just masked by a bit of cinnamon. Very strange to my nose.


I googled the pudding and found out that it was a special dessert served to celebrate the birth of a child or at other festivities such as Christmas.

After I finished the pudding it went into smaller bowls to cool down completely. Then it went into the fridge.

On the package was a picture how to present it. It was topped with nut shavings and whole nuts.

I decorated it and then came the taste test.

This is not my kind of dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment