Tuesday 17 March 2020

Sweet Potato, Carrot and Turkey- Indian Curry

My coworker microwaved a bowl of food during lunch break. I came into the kitchen and it smelled wonderful and delicious. I asked him what it was and he told me sweet potato, carrot and lots of ginger and tumeric. Something healthy to fight the corona virus. But the dish was not vegetarian. A couple of sausage chunks were sticking out of the plate.


That inspired me to cook my own dish. Sweet potatoes, carrots and ginger were sitting in my veggie drawer of my fridge, ready to go. On the way home I bought some turkey breast and developed my own recipe. I found some galangant in my fridge beside the ginger and used that too.


What goes with the base ingredients? Indian curry sounded good. Now I added mustard seed oil to the pan with some brown mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and chili flakes to the oil.

Bite size pieces form the meat, seasoned with salt and pepper went in after the seeds popped. The meat went white all around. But was not cooked fully. Out in a bowl until later.


Then I took them out and put the base in.
The base was a fine mix of onion, garlic, ginger and galangant. I fried it off in a little more oil.

Chunks from carrots and sweet potatoes followed, seasoned with salt and pepper.
250 ml of chicken stock next.


I cooked it for 10 minutes, then added the turkey chunks and cooked it 10 min more.
Now the sweet potatoes were soft, the carrots had still a good bite.
180 g Greek yogurt finished the dish with a lot of parsley.


ingredients:
2 medium sweet potatoes
4 carrots
1 onion
3 cloves of garlic
30 g ginger
15 g galangant
400 g turkey breast
180 g Greek yogurt
3 tbsp mustard oil
1 tsp brown mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp chili flakes
salt and pepper
parsley
250  ml chicken stock

No comments:

Post a Comment