Monday 30 March 2020

Pink Pomelo and Red Cabbage Asian Slaw

My weekend grocery shopping ended in a basket full of veggies and fruits.


I found a bright purple pointed cabbage. A couple of weeks ago I posted a recipe abou
 the white veriaty that was roasted until black on the outside. But that recipe only makes sense when you have a white inside. Dark purple does not have the same contrast.


I needed an other way to prepare the cabbage. I decided to have a fruity Asian slaw.
I saw a Chef prepare a fruity salad with a pomelo and some sprouts.  That idea stuck to me. I found a pomelo and discovered that it was a pink one the moment I opened it.
The other thing I discovered was a rather dry pomelo. It worked well with the salad, but I had a good amount leftover to eat later. Not juicy at all.


Mixing the dressing with sweet chili sauce and dark sesame oil and vinegar was a great idea. Just a bit of salt and pepper and the dressing was ready.


Recipe for 2:
4 red pointed cabbage leaves
1/3 pink pomelo
1 spring onion
1 tbsp parsley
1 tsp roasted sesame seeds
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp Sweet chili sauce
1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tsp agave syrup

Cut the cabbage in very fine strips, discard the hard parts. Put it in a bowl and pour boiling water over it and let it sit 90 seconds. Drain and get a good amount of salt in the bowl. Let that sit 10 min and then wash the cabbage again.

Peel the pomelo - look surprised that it is pink- or use a yellow one. Get the filets out of the skin and put 1/3 in the salad.

Add onion and parsley and make the dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment