Thursday 11 March 2021

Chicory recipe from Gary Rhodes

I was shocked in November 2019 to hear that a great Chef has died in Dubai. I watched many of his cooking episodes on Food Network and own a cookbook. 



This chicory recipe is from this book. I bought 3 heads of chicory last Saturday and stored them in the veggie drawer of my fridge. Since the end of this week is coming, I needed to prepare them. Mostly as a salad, but 3 heads are too much for me at once. Last night I had an idea about braised chicory, but I could not remember the name of the Chef. I only knew he died a while ago. This morning I remembered the name and found the cookbook. 



Recipe:

3 heads of chicory, 25 g butter, 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 shallots, 3 sprigs of thyme, 

1 tsp white whole peppercorns, 80 ml sweet white wine, 400 ml veg stock, salt



Cut the chicory lengthwise in halves. In a wide pan melt the butter and saute the chicory for 2 min on both sides.



In a small pan, heat up the oil, chop shallots finely and put them together with thyme and peppercorns in. When the shallots are translucent, add the wine and reduce it nearly completely. Add the veg stock and reduce by 1/3. Pour over the chicory in the ither pan. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat and braise for 12 -15 min.




Take the chicory out and store in in the smaller pan and keep warm. Reduce the liquid again a bit and check for intensity. It the winw was not so sweet, add a little sweetness.  Pour over the chicory on a serving plate through a fine mash sieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment