Wednesday 10 March 2021

Welsh Rarebit

I made a round trip through Wales and visited lots of castle cities. I arrived in the North of Wales in Llandudno. I stayed there on a long weekend when there was a festival of steam engines. I arrived at the early afternoon and after checking into my B&B I went out to look for some food. Lunch time was over and it was too early for dinner. I found a cafe that served sweet and savoury stuff.  


What caught my eye was Welsh Rarebit. I thought it was a toast with rabbit meat and was very surprised to find a toasted cheese bread. Since I had ordered a beer, it worked well. I asked my server about that dish. When I was back home, I gave it a try. But that is a while ago.



I shopped Lea&Perrins Worchester sauce and had a block of cheddar at home. That was the best way to use it. 



Recipe:

50 g butter, 50 g flour, 220 ml beer, 150 g grated Cheddar

1 tsp English mustard powder, 2 tbsp Lea&Perrins, 1 egg yolk

Melt butter and cook out the flour. Pour in beer in 3 stages. Stir well in between. Melt the cheddar in the sauce.



Add mustard powder and worchester sauce. Take off the heat and add the egg yolk.

Spread on bread and put under the grill for 6- 8 min until it bubbles and get a bit brown.

Do not burn it.



No comments:

Post a Comment