Sunday 7 March 2021

Wool Roll Bread

Yesterday I found APRON! A Youtuber with great baking videos. 



The one I watched first was the wool roll bread. It got me hooked. Today on a very cold but sunny Sunday. I had time in the morning to be creative. The first drawback was that I did not have the right size of a baking dish with 20 cm diameter. I have lots of 18/24/26 cm loose bottom baking dishes. Finally I decided to use a 19 cm pasta baking dish. No loose bottom and I hoped for the best.



This recipe takes a lot of time due to the proofing time of the dough. 2 hours 15 min in total. It is not a bake to do after you get home from work. APRON filled her bread with chopped cranberries. I did not have any. While I went through my cupboards and baking storage I found a package of milled poppy seeds with sugar and seasoning added. The only thing it needed were several tablespoons of milk. The rest of it will go into an other bake soon. 





In made the dough in my Kenwood stand mixer. And it rested for 1 hours to proof afterwards.



recipe for a 20 cm dish:

300 g flour, 30 g sugar, 5 g salt, 3 g dry yeast, 80 ml lukewarm milk, 100 ml double cream, 1 egg

70 g poppy seed paste, butter for the baking dish



Depending on the type of yeast you use, either put it into the warm milk to bloom or toss it into the flour directly. Put the ingredients of the 1 row into the stand mixer and make a smooth dough.



Form it into a ball, put it  back into the mixing bowl, cover and place it in a warm place to rest for 1 hour.



Sprinkle your work surface with a little flour and put the dough on top. Smooth it out a little and take a  dough cutter and make 5 equal portions. Roll them into balls and cover them to rest for 15 min.

Take one out and with a rolling pin make a 25cm rectangular piece. Use the dough cutter and from the center of the dough cut in paralell lines small strips.



Use a tablespoon of poppy seed paste on the other side and fold the sides over and the end and start rolling it up to the strips. 

Place it in a buttered and bottom papered and buttered bakind dish. Make all 5 balls. I was only able to place 4 and a half pieces into my baking dish.

Cover again and let it proof for 1 hour again. Brush with a little milk.

Bake at 170 C fan for 17-20 min until golden.



No comments:

Post a Comment