Sunday 13 August 2017

Jerk Chicken with beans and rice

This is inspired by the SortedFood recipe.  I changed a couple of thing, like the beans and I had to prepare my own Jerk seasoning. It is not available here in a supermarket which has a huge wall of spices. I have to order it online some time.


But checking several Jerk seasoning recipes I discovered that they vary a lot. Some are on the hot side with chili and cayenne pepper, others have curry powder in it. But most of them have allspice and several other dried spices in. As a wet ingredient they sometimes use Worchestersauce or brown rum. I decided to go for both.

Here is my spice blend.  btw:  it tastes great!


1 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp mild paprika
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp  dark brown sugar
salt
1 tsp kampot pepper
Ground this in a pestle and mortar and you can store it in a jar for further use.


3 tsp spice mix
2 tbsp Captain Morgan brown rum
1 tsp Worchestersauce
1 spring onion
1/2 red chili
3 cloves of garlic
Mix it in the oven dish you will use later for the rice.

Spatchcock the chicken before you rub it with the Jerk seasoning. It takes less time in the oven later.
Ben poked a lot of holes with a metal skewer into the chicken, but it dries it out. So I did not.


It does not sound easy to hack through the chicken to get the backbone out and trust me, it takes a good knife and a good amount of elbow grease. Then flatten it and rub it on both sides with the mix.


In a wide pan with a tbsp of oil brown it on both sides for 4 min, then transfer it to a wire rack.


Rice and beans:
250 g long grain rice
salt
400 ml chicken stock
150 m coconut milk
200 g beans from a can- SortedFood used kidney beans
I used french small green beans.
Lime juice


Bake for 40 minutes it the oven and serve with fresh cut rings of spring onion and chili and some lime juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment