Sunday 30 July 2023

Seelen or Swabian Bread Rolls

My BFF was on holiday in the Black Forest and visited one of the remaining flour mills there. A bit of telefone conference later, I knew what I wanted from there.



Seelen or souls can be found in all bakeries in the Southwestern part of Germany. They are traditionally eaten for breakfast. They often have a sprinkle of caraway seeds and salt or poppy seeds and sesame seeds on top. 



The flourmix contained salt but no other ingredients. I added a little yeast and water to it. The dough was made in the Thermomix first. But I gave it a couple of folds later on my floured work surface.



The dough needed a longer time to rise and stayed in the fridge for 12 hours. I made it last evening and it was ready to bake for breakfast this morning.



I only used 500 g of the 1000 g package. 8 Seelen came out of it. With 350 ml cold water and 6 g of fresh yeast.

No comments:

Post a Comment