Saturday 1 July 2023

Tropea Onion Sauce with Bloodpudding and Pasta Casareccia

My last souvenir from my trip to Calabria. The onion had to go. 



Typical for the area is Fileja pasta. Long strands of thin pasta dough wrapped around a thin wooden skewer. Too much work for one person.



I used a Calabrien recipe, but I added some protein to it. The bloodpudding is from a local farmer and very tasty. When you put it in the pan, it melts in to the sauce.



The tomata passata that was needed in the sauce, I did not use. I made my own tomato sauce in the Thermomix with the fresh first tomatoes from my garden and the last ones I bought in the shop.

Recipe:

150 g pasta

1 large red Tropea onion

2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp Calabrian herb mix

120 g tomato sauce

80 g bloodpudding

1 hand full basil, grated pecorino



The preparation takes a bit of time. Cook the tomato sauce first, then cut the onion in 6 mm rings and sauté them in olive oil with a bit of Italian seasoning and pepperoncini. On medium heat that will take 20 min.



Make some room in the pan and brown the bloodpudding on both sides. When it distinetgrates, add tomato sauce and some pasta water. Cook for 10 more min. During that time drain the pasta and keep some of the water.

Rip the basil and stir the pasta in the sauce. Add basil and cheese. Check the seasoning.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment