Monday 1 February 2016

Falafel and Hummus

SortedFood challenged the community to prepare one of their veggie dishes this week.


One of the recipes was the middle eastern dish of Falafel served with Hummus. Since a big can of chickpeas was sitting on the shelf of my storing cupboard for a longer while, it was time to make something out of it.
I split the contents of the can in two parts and used one for falafel and the other one for hummus.
Since I was on a trip through Jordan, I love their style of hummus. I ate it for breakfast, lunch and dinner during the whole stay. It tasted great and it was no difference to see where ever I had some.
I prepare it in the way everybody seams to prepare it there

The second batch of chickpeas went into the falafel. It is the first time I ever prepared some. I usually don´t like them, you get them here at every Döner kebap house for the people, who oppose to meat. But I tried them in several towns and mostly they tastes like deep fried sawdust.
I put some effort in making my own and I am happy about the result.

A good dip goes with everything, so a bit of Greek yogurt, Sriracha sauce, dried herbs and pepper make a fine one.

Falafel balls waiting for the fryer


Falafel recipe :
1 small can of chickpeas
1 lemon
1 handful of parsley
1 tbsp fresh mint
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1/2 chili
salt and pepper
2 tbsp potato starch

Put everything in a blender and make a coarse paste. Form small balls and stick them in the fridge for 30 minutes. Heat oil for frying to 180 C and fry them for 3 minutes until golden.

Hummus
Hummus recipe:
1 small can of chickpeas
3 tbsp tahini paste
1 tsp lemon zest
1lime
1 tbsp parsley
4 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin
smoked paprika
orange pepper
salt
sumac for garnish

No comments:

Post a Comment