Sunday 26 December 2021

Black Forest Bread

I haven't baked bread in a while.



During my visit in Tittisee Neustadt, Black Forest, I found a special package of flour mix for bread making. The flour is called Ruchmehl. I never heard of it before. It is fine milled wheat flour with a special amount of outer shell of the grain milled in. Traditional found in Switzerland and in the Southwest of Germany.



The bread flour mix contained some dried sourdough, salt and malt as well. It was the size of 1 kilo. 



For baking I had to add 2 tbsp of olive oil, 10 g fresh yeast (or 4 g dried yeast) and 700 ml cold water. After the dough was mixed it had to rest in the fridge for 16 hours to proof. 



That amount was made in 2 loafs.  I slashed the tops and brushed a little flour on top. 

After resting an other 25 min, they went in the oven at 250C with a little water. After 15 min I dropped the temperature to 200C and baked the breads for 45 min more. The bottom sounded hollow, when tapped on.




No comments:

Post a Comment