Sunday 5 December 2021

Bread Pudding with Bourbon Sauce New Orleans style

I bought 4 rolls at the bakery and a loaf of bread. I ordered 4 rolls and wanted the bread sliced. At that bakery chaine I have a bread card and yesterday my loaf of bread was free. The bag of rolls looked a bit large, but I did not realise at the moment. At home I found 10 rolls in the bag. Way to much to eat.



I usually put leftover dry rolls in the Thermomix and turn them into breadcrums. But I did not want to waste a lot of rolls. Bread pudding popped up and I went on search for a recipe. The only "bread pudding" I made was with leftover Chocolate Panettone on Christmas a couple of years ago. It´s on the blog too.



At whatscookingamerica I found the New Orleans Bread Pudding. What got me hooked was the Bourbon Sauce. I checked the recipe and it was way too sweet for my taste. Since I had just 60 % of the amount of bread, I reduced all ingredients accordingly and used even less sugar.




I used a 9x6 inch baking dish.

recipe for 4 to 6:

6 rolls, 2 1/2 cup whole milk tepid

2 lightly beaten eggs, 2 tbsp melted butter

1 cup coconut flower sugar, pinch of salt, 1 tbsp vanilla extract, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp allspice 

1/2 cup rainsins + 1 tbsp Bourbon -warmed up together

butter for the baking dish

Bourbon sauce.

1/2 cup butter

3/4 cup sugar 

1 beaten egg, 3 tbsp Bourbon



Cut up the rolls in bite size chunks. Warm the milk and pour it over the rolls. Use your hands to squeeze the milk into the rolls.

In a second bowl, add sugar and eggs, spices and raisins and add the melted butter. Pour that over the mashed rolls. Stir very well until all is combined. Place a lid on top and let it rest for 2 hours.



Preheat the oven to 175 C.

Brush the baking dish with butter. Fill the mix in and press it down a bit. 

Bake for 45-50 min. Let it cool down outside for 10 min. Loosen the edges with a knife.

While the bread pudding is baking, prepare the Bourbon sauce. Add butter and sugar to a small pot. On medium heat let it melt and the sugar dissolve.



Add the egg and stir very good and take the pot off the heat. Wenn the sauce is very well combined, pour it through a fine mash sieve to get egg parts out.



Add the Bourbon to taste!

Serve the bread pudding warm and reheat the sauce if necessary.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment