Saturday 10 February 2024

Irish Soda Bread

It is raining cats and dogs outside and I should go to the bakery and buy some bread.



The alternative to getting wet, was baking bread myself at home.



I wanted to use a recipe without much fuss. Or long proving times. And I had no fresh yeast at home. I remembered the Irish Soda Bread.



But that contained buttermilk to react with the baking soda. I used the old trick and poured lemon juice in full fat milk and let that curdle for 10 minutes.



Recipe:

580 g AP flour, some for kneading

1 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar, 1 1/2 tsp baking soda

470 ml buttermilk

Mix the dry ingredients and add the buttermilk. Bring the dough together and transfer it to a floured surface. Knead it for 10 min. Use a dough scraper to make it easier.

Preheat the oven 200 C. Use baking paper. Drop the loaf on the paper, cut a cross deep in the bread and put in the oven.



I used 50 ml of cold water to through in the oven before closing it.

Bake for 40 to 45 min. When the bread sounds hollow on the bottom when you knock on it, its done.


No comments:

Post a Comment